Sunday, May 3, 2020

Johnny Neumonic

Johnny Neumonic is a good example of a story that immediately places you in the middle of the action, with little to no explanation. These types of stories are probably some of my favorites, as more pieces start to fall into place as you continue reading the story. Though this is the case for Johnny Neumonic, I was still left a bit confused as to what the goal of this story was. I was incredibly interested by the context and characters itself, showing a new and exciting form of cyberpunk I had barely considered and all the ways humanity might change in the future if enhancements become the norm. (Though if some people can barely accept humans having different colored skin and choosing a different gender to be or love, I don't see them being able to accept humans wanting animal like appendages.) I also found the idea of the main character harboring sensitive thoughts and data, with no knowledge of what it was, as a job extremely interesting. I believe a troupe such as that should be explored further in other forms of storytelling, such as the dangers of harboring sensitive information and the mental strain of being kept in the dark but constantly being threatened for having such knowledge.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a complex and interesting story to read. I also enjoy works that start in the middle of the action, or "in medias res" as my high school English teacher said. I agree with your analysis that humans can be extremely prejudice towards each other for the smallest of reasons, so a future like this is hard to imagine.

    ReplyDelete